A short reading: 6v6-8
v6: Come before: To approach. To draw near to G-d. This is an idiom for worship.
- High G-d = exalted
- Shall I come before Him…?? Is this the way to approach Him?
v7: Pleased: satisfied
- Thousands.. Ten thousand – the question being asked here is if G-d wants and delights in extremely large offerings
- Give my firstborn : some nations did give their firstborn children to their gods. Israel was guilty of this as well.
v8: He has shown… This is a verse of revelation. G-d reveals to us what we can do in order to be pleasing to Him as well as how we can have a G-dly testimony.
- Good = the will of G-d
- Require is a strong word. It speaks of an absolute obligation
- But: in contrast to burnt offerings, calves, rivers of oil etc
- “To do” is a word of lifestyle. G-d wants us to live like this at ALL times. This is the testimony that He wants us to have
- Justice – whenever there is injustice we are called to act. We need to demonstrate G-d’s standard of justice to those around us (not the worlds standards)
- Mercy – grace. We need to be people who are committed to the fulfilment of G-d’s will.
- “With” – this is a word of redemption. It is only through redemption that we can be with G-d, in Messiah etc