v9: The L-rd’s message is going forth – those who hear it and respond to it are wise/discerning.
- See your name – those who are wise see, and demonstrate, the character (name) of G-d.
- The rod or staff shows G-d’s authority (in Egypt we saw it perform the miraculous works of G-d)
- Who has appointed it? IE who is controlling it? We know the answer to this is: G-d. He is working to miraculously bring about His Kingdom.
v10: When G-d’s rule is enforced wickedness will no longer be rewarded😅. When G-d moves there will be no profiting from sin.
- A short measure = a false, lean measurement intended to deceive and therefore increase profit for the deceiver
v11: “I” = G-d.
- There will be no more deceit. Everything will be based upon truth and righteousness.
v12: Her rich men: the wealthy in Israel
- The Hebrew word for this kind of violence is “hamas”(that group called by that name didn’t do their homework properly😝)It is people doing violence for the love and pleasure of inflicting pain on others.
- Tongue is deceitful – they speak falsehood
v13 G-d still speaking to Israel.
- Make sick – He is going to judge, punish and make desolate.
v14: When we live in sin we will never be satisfied.
- Hunger can also be translated “emptiness”
- Carry some away – They will bring something home (own it)
- But shall not save – although they might have money in their pockets they won’t have any benefit from it.
- What they do manage to own/possess will be taken from them by force.
v15: They are working but are not able to achieve their desired outcomes.
v16: Omri was a wicked king of the Northern kingdom(1 Kings 16v21-28)
- Ahab was Omri’s son and he married Jezebel (1 Kings 16v29-33) In this verse G-d is saying that His people have embraced a wrong way of living (G-d knows our works – Rev 2&3 – they don’t save us but we are judged for reward according to what we have done – 1 Cor 3v14-15)
- Walk in their counsels – speaking of ungodly counsel. They have no fear of G-d and have departed from the revelation of Scripture.
- Make a desolation – G-d is going to destroy
- Hissing is a word that should be translated “whistling”. When people are take aback by something surprising they emit a whistle. This is what it is referring to here. People are going to be shocked when they see the destruction G-d brings to His people (Zech 13v8, Jer 30v7)
- Bear the reproach -ALL people will be in one of two positions eternally-in a state of glorious perfection (by the grace and work of G-d) or they are going to be in reproach and disgrace.