v1: Like we have national holidays so too does the L-rd have His appointed holidays/festivals. They are very important days that teach us about, and point to, Yeshua (Col 2:16-17) Yeshua fulfilled the four spring feasts at His first coming (Pentecost being the last of them) and scholars believe He will fulfill the last three feasts (Trumpets, Atonement and Tabernacles) at His second.
· Three feasts (called “Pilgrimage Festivals”) were required to be kept in Jerusalem (Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles)
· ‘They were all with one accord’- unity. There is a relationship between the moving of the Holy Spirit (often symbolized as oil) and unity among G-d’s people. (Psalm 133)
v2:The people knew something was coming so they waited obediently…and then suddenly it happened (today we are waiting for the return of Yeshua – 1 Cor 15:51-52)
· Rushing -moving quickly
· Mighty – powerful
v3:When G-d gave the Israelites the law it was also accompanied by loud sounds and fire (Ex 20:18) The Holy Spirit takes that law and writes it on our hearts. He helps us to obey not the letter of the law but the spirit of the law (2 Cor 3:3-6)
· ‘Each of them’- every single person received the anointing of the Holy Spirit!
v4: All filled – again emphasized
· Began to speak with other tongues: This was unique. (1 Cor 2:12-16 we, too, are called to declare things that the world does not yet understand)
v5:These were Jews who were obedient and were committed to the Word of G-d. They were in Jerusalem to observe the pilgrimage for this feast of Pentecost.
v6: The sound drew them to what was happening. This sound captured the attention of the people (like at Mt Sinai)
· The miracle here is that each foreigner heard his own language being spoken (the gospel and praises to G-d being uttered -see v11)
v7: Galilee had to do with the revealing of the promise – the outcome of redemption, the giving of the Holy Spirit (see Isaiah 9:1-7)
v11: The purpose of this was for G-d to be magnified. The wonder of G-d is that His Kingdom is being established and it is going to come about through the Holy Spirit – the Holy Spirit is the One who moves to bring order from chaos – Gen 1:2.
v12: A part of the crowd were filled with hope and expectation after hearing
v13: Another part of the crowd, after hearing, rejected and made fun of what was being said.
Note: When it comes to the things of G-d there will always be people who accept and there will always be those who reject. (Rom 10:14-18)