The section that we are going to read today gives us an allotment of time for G-d to fulfill His prophetic promises. It is a famous prophecy called “Daniel’s 70 weeks”. It is a prophecy that tells us about the crucifixion of Messiah, and also reveals to us some key events G-d is going to bring about in this world. All of this is revealed so that we can know the truth and respond to it.
v24: 1 week = There is Scriptural evidence that Daniel is not speaking about a week being 7 days, but actually being 7 years. 70 weeks, therefore, is a period of 490 years (70 x7).
· “Your people” speaks of this time being specifically for the Jewish people (Daniel’s people) and “your holy city” is Jerusalem.
6 things are going to be done within that 490 years.
· Finish the transgression: Sin and iniquity will be done away with
· Make an end of sins: Seal up sin so that it no longer exists
· Make reconciliation for iniquity: Atonement made for sin (we know that this was done through Yeshua)
· Bring in everlasting righteousness: the establishment of the Kingdom of G-d.
· Seal up vision and prophecy: This means to bring them to completion i.e. fulfil them
· Anoint the Most Holy: The temple for the millennial kingdom will be inaugurated for worship once more.
v25: The countdown of this 490 years began when the word was given to restore and build Jerusalem (probably in the time of Ezra and Nehemiah – around 450years BC)
· Until Messiah the Prince – Speaking of the coming of Yeshua
· The scholars debate why the 7 weeks (49 yrs) are separated from the 62 weeks (434yrs) but no-one is 100% sure why. What they are sure about is the fact that it adds up to 69 weeks (69×7= 483yrs) of the 70 week (490yrs) total (This would take us to the time of Yeshua’s crucifixion)
v26: After the last 62 weeks (i.e: 62 + the preceding 7 weeks =69 weeks ) the Anointed One (Messiah) will be cut off – He died for the purpose of making (“cutting”) a new covenant (Jesus was crucified, ‘cut off’, on the 14th day of Nisan but we are not sure of the year. Without doubt
though, as fulfillment of this prophecy, it would have been 483 years after the edict to rebuild Jerusalem.)
· The people of the prince who is to come: This is referring to the antichrist. The people who did this destruction came from Rome (Europe)
· Destroy the city and the sanctuary: After Yeshua died, Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in August AD 70 by the Roman legions under Titus.
At the 483-year period the Jewish “clock” was stopped, 7 years short of its completion. Then began the time of the Gentiles which has to run its course and reach its completion. Luke 21:24, Roms 11:25-27
v27: Here is our ‘missing’ week or final seven-year period for Israel. The “clock” starts ticking again when the antichrist makes a covenant with many (nations) for one week (7 years). After 3.5 years, or 42 months, he puts a stop to temple sacrifices etc and he sets himself up in the temple as god and demands to be worshipped – this is known as the abomination that causes desolation (Matt 24:15, 2 Thess 2:3-4) See also Rev 13:5-8
These final seven years are not going to be easy for anyone, but for the Jewish people it is referred to as “the time of Jacob’s trouble” Jer 30:4-7
Note: The reason why Israel’s going to go through this intense time of persecution is because of their rejection of the antichrist.
* G-d’s going to move after this abomination of desolation. His wrath is going to begin (the consummation which is determined). The church is not going to be a recipient of the wrath of G-d so will be raptured before this wrath is poured out. G-d’s wrath is going to usher in righteous judgement and His Kingdom is going to be established.