v2 “Speak now” – the L-rd is summoning the people to get ready for what He is about to do through the work they have done.
· Shealtiel means “Asked from G-d “
· Jehozadak means “The L-rd is righteous”
Note: These two names remind us that we should be asking G-d, daily, for His righteousness in our lives – in the way we think and in the way we behave.
· The remnant is again highlighted.
v3 Haggai wants to know who of them remember the time that the glorious temple that Solomon had built (the first temple) stood on the Temple Mount.
· The temple that they had just finished building was humble and not nearly as glorious as the first one built.
v4 In this verse there is a change. The people are not called the “remnant” like in previous verses. The sages see this as having implications not only for the people in Israel but is something that is going to impact the people in the whole earth. What the remnant had done seemed so insignificant in their eyes, but it was going to affect the world and, more importantly, it pleased G-d.
· “I am with you”: This is the second time that this phrase is used (see 1:13-14). What the two verses have in common is that G-d being “with them” is related to work. If we want G-d to be with us then we need to do His work.
v5 The covenant: G-d is reminding them of the covenant that He gave them at Mt Sinai (Ex 19-20)
· Egypt should remind us of redemption.
· If G-d is with us we do not need to be afraid. In the last days there will be great opposition, but we need to remember to hold fast to the promises of G-d and obediently do what He has called us to do.
v6 At the end of this age (life as we know it right now), as we transition into the age to come (the Kingdom age) there is going to be a time of transition (a shaking of the heavens and the earth). As seen from verse 5 this time is set within the context of redemption. G-d is coming to rescue His people and bring them into the fullness of His Kingdom
· This verse should also draw our attention back to Gen 1. G-d is going to create a new heaven and a new earth. A Kingdom change is coming!
v7 Shake the nations – worldwide implications.
· The temple that had just been built seemed so humble, but it was going to be used for a glorious purpose. This was the temple that Yeshua was taken into (Lk 2:22-38)
v9 The latter temple/ the last temple/ the final temple: G-d is going to fill this final house.
· Says the L-rd- this is a promise.
· Peace does not simply mean the absence of violence or wars. It is what we will experience when G-d’s will is fulfilled. When we do what G-d requires us to do we will experience His peace.