v8:satan is released, after the 1000 years, because of the doctrine of free will. Without freewill there can’t be love (love involves a choice and sacrifice).
- After his release satan is going to deceive the inhabitants of the earth.
- nations are those who have no covenantal relationship with G-d Covenant is entered into through free will).
- Gog and Magog will have already happened at this point (pre millennium, Ez 38 and 39). By the inspiration of The Holy Spirit, John’s literary style is to take things, that have happened in Scripture, and bring them into the book of Revelation. What do we know about this battle of Gog and Magog? G-d’s covenantal (Kingdom) people win!
How is it possible after living in a Kingdom of justice and righteousness, where G-d’s mercy is manifested, that such a large number of people are going to be deceived? This shows us the evil inclination in the heart of man (Jer 17v9). If we don’t bring ourselves under, and submit to, the grace of G-d we have no hope.
v9: Prior to the final expression of the Kingdom Of G-d His judgement is again released.
v10: Day and night, without any break, forever and ever. G-d is going to torture satan, the beast and the false prophet.
v11: Those people who were disobedient, throughout the ages, went to the place of faithlessness – Hades or hell. Because of their rejection of the gospel, these people did not come alive at the first resurrection (at the beginning of the 1000-year reign of Messiah). They did not take part in the millennial Kingdom.
- The great white throne judgement is for those who didn’t take part in the first resurrection, as well as for those who rebelled at the end of the 1000-year reign of Messiah.
- Again, a new reality is ushered in. There is no longer a place for heaven and earth.
v12:No believer takes part in this great white throne judgement. Only those who, throughout all of the dispensations, all of the epochs of time, did not submit to G-d. Everyone is going to be judged according to their deeds.
v14: The first death is a physical death. It is appointed to every man to die once and after that judgement (Heb 9v27) – this judgement is the second death. It is an eternal death.
After G-d has judged them He is going to sentence them. The only way to escape this sentence is if your name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. It is G-d’s desire that no man should perish but for everyone to come to everlasting life (2 Pt 3v9). When you reject the gospel, your name is blotted out of this book (Ps 69v28). In the letters to the congregations, it was pointed out that those who submit to Yeshua (i.e. they receive the gospel) will not have their names blotted out of His book (Rev 3v5).
v15: To keep our names in the Book of Life:
- Everyone knows that they are sinners. Our consciences help us to fall under conviction, especially when we are confronted with the Word of G-d. We need to confess that we are sinners (1 Jn 1v9)
- We need to realise that we are unable to save ourselves. G-d is very willing to save us, but our sins have separated us from Him (Isaiah 59v2). The only way we can find salvation is through His grace, through His provision. The Lamb of redemption
- A need to accept G-d’s provision (Roms 10v9). Everyone who has experienced the Blood of Messiah is a new creation. (a Kingdom creation – 2 Cor 5v17) As a new creation you live according to the standards of the Kingdom, by the enabling of the Holy Spirit (Jn 14v26)
Those who reject the gospel place on themselves eternal death. Fire is synonymous with the eternal judgement of G-d.