v1 To this church G-d comes as the Spirit – the One who is able to bring order out of chaos. He is also holding the leaders in His hands – leaders will be held responsible for how they impart truth to the people(James 3v1)
This church appears alive but is in fact dead. They do not understand spiritual truth -especially the prophetic truth of G-d. If we don’t understand prophecy we will not be able to live lives that testify of our faith in Messiah Yeshua.
v2 “watch! ” This is a word of warning (Matt 7v15, Matt 24v4, Lk 12v15). The people don’t understand spiritual truth so they need to awaken and become diligent to strengthen what remains – if we are not a prepared people(in the things of G-d) we will be easily defeated/deceived. Do we see things from G-d’s perspective? Do we recognize prophetic signs so we can position ourselves in an obedient location?
v3 This church is called to wake up … to remember what they have heard (prophetic proclamation) and received….to obey…. to repent…..
See 1 Thessalonians 5v1-11(especially v4) -Yeshua will not come as a thief to those who are watching for Him. We may not know the day or the hour but we can know the season(around the time) of when He will return. (Matt 24v32-35) If we do not think of the last days we will not be prepared. If we are not prepared we will be easily defeated.
v4 Some in this church are walking purely, cleanly, in a right manner. G-d gives these garments to each person through the work of Messiah on the cross (Rev 6v11). These garments are not earned by our works.
v5 The reward for this church, if it overcomes the obstacles we have spoken about above, is that they too will be dressed in white – Ecclesiastes 9v8, Revelation 19v14
- Name not blotted out from book of life – Revelation 20v11-15, Luke 10v20, Daniel 12v1, Ex 32v32-33. Only those names written in the Lambs Book of life will be saved.
- Acknowledgement before G-d the Father – a relationship with Yeshua(salvation) is vital (Matt 10v32-33)
v6 we hear in order to respond, to obey.
v7 Only admirable things were said about this next church so pay close attention to learn from them.
- Holiness and truth work hand in hand.
- Isaiah 22v22 The mention of David should remind us of an everlasting kingdom and G-d’s covenant (2 Sam 7) – Yeshua, the Son of David.
- True believers want holiness and truth. The promise of the gospel is that we have eternal life. When G-d saves it is an eternal salvation. If eternal life could be lost it was never eternal. Eternal life will not be opened for those who reject G-d and truth (David’s covenant)
v8 This church is not strong but it has kept G-d’s Word and has been true to Him(not denied His name) – they have lived in holiness and truth. When we exemplify obedience to the Word of G-d we are going to have an open door. When we display the character of G-d in our lives we experience victory.
v9 This congregation spoke truth in the situations they found themselves in. They were not worried about public response. People who have been in opposition to them will be forced to acknowledge that G-d has loved this church and her actions. Hopefully they will be convicted, repent and begin to rightly worship G-d (Matt 5v16)
v10 Is this the remnant of the faithful church who will be raptured (the blessed hope Titus 2v13, 1 Cor 15v51-55)before the wrath of G-d comes?
Before the rapture happens two things need to take place:
1. A battle is going to be fought (Dan 8) which will give rise to the Antichrist
2. A temple will be built in Jerusalem. Sacrifices (not pleasing to G-d) will again be performed.
v11 “I am coming quickly” – there is a need to live with eager expectation of the return of Messiah (Phil 3v20-21, 1 Thess 1v10)
- when we worship G-d we don’t want to appear before Him empty handed – without crowns or rewards
v12 the rewards(gifts – James 1v17) for this church:
- A pillar – someone who has strength to stand, constantly in the presence of G-d(temple) – continually intimacy
- Gets G-d’s name – G-d’s character becomes their character(name change is synonymous with character change in Bible-Simon to Peter, Saul to Paul etc)
- Name of the eternal and new city – a citizen of the final state of G-d’s Kingdom
- They also take on Yeshua’s new name and, therefore, character – these people will understand Messiahs true identity.
v13 It’s so easy to keep glossing over these words. They are repeated many times but that is to show how important they are. Hear… Respond….obey. This is what the Spirit is saying to the churches. He brings order from chaos. He is the Only One who can help us to live out these truths.