v1: According to the sages this source of water should be seen as used for the purpose of immersion or baptism.
· Today in Israel there is a National Day of Baptism leading up to Yom Kippur or Day of Atonement (Lev 16:4, 24, 26, 28, 30) By being baptized they are preparing themselves for dedication/service to G-d and it’s also symbolizing the removal of sin and being cleansed.
· For, again, these two groups of people there is going to be a day of baptism “on that day”, but this time they are not doing it just as a yearly ritual, but they are doing it with understanding and to identify with Messiah – Yeshua – His death, burial and resurrection.
v2: No more idols, no more false prophets. Notice that the false prophets are linked to a spirit of impurity. We need to present G-d’s Word truthfully and accurately and when we do that it is able to wash us, and those who hear it, clean (Eph 5:26)
v3: There are a couple of places in the Bible where parents are commanded/expected to mete out harsh judgement against their renegade children (see Deut 21:18-21)
· Many in Yeshua’s time considered Him a false prophet and they stabbed/pierced Him – put Him to death.
v4: The prophet’s garment was a coat/mantle that distinguished a prophet as a prophet. Many used these garments to pridefully elevate themselves in the eyes of the people.
v6: This is a verse that relates to the True, suffering Messiah when He came to His friends/loved ones – the house of Israel. Israel, by and large, did not receive Him and He suffered the deathblows to pay for our sins (John 20:24-29)
v7: G-d is speaking. His Shepherd and the Man close to Him is Yeshua.
· A sword speaks of death. Yeshua’s death prophesied again.
· Yeshua Himself, on the night He was betrayed, used this verse in relation to Himself (Matt 26:31)
· The ‘little ones’ refers to the common people. Shortly after the time of Yeshua, under the Roman leadership, a time of affliction fell upon the common people in Israel.
v8: Two thirds of the Jewish people will perish in the last days but a one third remnant will be spared. This is known as the time of Jacob’s Trouble (Jer 30:7)
v9: Fire relates to judgement. This judgement that Israel is going to go through is for a purpose though – to refine and purify them. They are going to be a transformed people.
· Heat brings out the impurities (improper teaching, idolatry, faithlessness, disobedience etc)
· All who call on the name of Yeshua will be saved (Joel 2:32)