We enter into our final chapter of Zechariah: Zechariah 14:1-9
v1: G-d is still talking to the Jewish people -the ones who were sealed and did not go in the rapture. Here He is warning them that a coalition of enemies are going to strip Israel bare of all her wealth.
v2: Gather all the nations =their militaries. A remnant will be left in Jerusalem (Jerusalem is synonymous with worship and prayer – these people will no doubt be calling out to G-d for salvation, deliverance)
v3: We know that it is Yeshua Himself who goes out to fight these nations (Rev 19:11-16). Messiah is sent by G-d to bring about redemption. The final aspect of redemption is the establishment of the Kingdom.
v4: He (Messiah Yeshua) ascended from the MT of Olives, and He will descend to the MT of Olives (Acts 1:9-12)
· When Yeshua returns there is going to be a great change to creation. See Roms 8:19-22 (creation has been waiting for its redemption ever since sin entered into it and subjected it to frustration)
· A large valley – This valley is created for a purpose.
v5: And the purpose of the valley is for people to flee.
· Azal – a place
· When earthquakes are listed in the Bible they have the purpose of capturing attention. This earthquake will capture the people’s attention.
· The L-rd my G-d will come – Speaking of the return of Messiah
· The saints/holy ones will come with Him. Who are these ones? See 1 Cor 15:51-52 and 1 Thess 4:16-17 also Rev 19:14
v6: A very unique light was created on the first day of creation (Gen 1:3). It was not the light of the sun, moon or stars as these were created only on day 4 (Gen 1:14-19)
· The lights created on day 4 are going to be snuffed out (Rev 21:23-25). This is another change to creation – it will be something that has not been seen before. It is a change (a new reality) related to the Kingdom of G-d.
· When Yeshua comes this time He is coming to judge, but He is also coming to establish His Kingdom. Two sides of the same coin – we have seen “on that day” referring to that day of judgement but for the rest of this chapter we can see “on that day” as a reference to the other side of the “coin” – G-d establishing His Kingdom and bringing about change in His creation.
v7: This is a day known to the L-rd as He is going to be the One to define it.
· The light spoken of here is that unique light (glory of the L-rd) created on that first day of creation. The glory of the L-rd is going to be present day and night!
v8: Living water: Ezekiel 47:1-13, John 7:37-39
· The Eastern Sea is the Dead Sea (dead, because it is so salty that nothing can survive in it)
· The Western Sea is the Mediterranean.