We go on to Zechariah 6:1-8. G-d often revealed an event to a prophet that was fulfilled in their time or within their near future. The purpose of that prophecy, however, was to confirm something that would happen at a later time – usually at the end of the ages. Prophecy is pattern.
v1: We come across the number 4 again… This tells us that this prophecy has global significance.
· Chariots signify war. At the end of the ages there is going to be an abundance of wars (Matt 24:6-8)
· Mountains =empires (already seen in 4:7) Babylon of the past and, we know, Babylon of the future will rise again (Rev 17)
· Idols were made of bronze. These Empires will be involved in idolatry
v2: Red horses =bloodshed (Rev 6:4) leads to:
· Black horse = death, which leads to:
v3: White horse = conquest (Rev 6:2), which in turn will lead to global leadership (Rev 13:1-8)
· Dappled/speckled horses will be a composite of all the horses’ colors combined.
· Strong/Powerful =this last empire is going to be incredibly strong.
v5: The four spirits (winds) = a reference to global again (North, South, East and West).
· (They went out from) before the L-rd: G-d allows all these things to happen (Yeshua is the One who opens the seals and releases them -Rev 6) This does not mean that they are good, but they are the least severe measures to ultimately bring the most amount of people into the Kingdom (Matt 24:6 – these things MUST happen)
V6: The black and white horses go to the north. The North is again emphasized.
· The spotted ones (bloodshed, death and conquest) go south (remember, all direction is relative to the position of Israel).
v7: ‘Throughout the earth’ – this is confirmation that this is a global event. It has implications for all of creation.
v8: ‘He’ is probably the angel.
· The land of the North is mentioned again (Jer 23:7-8). The importance and significance of G-d’s plan to take the people back to Israel cannot be over emphasized (Ezekiel 37)