v10: Heldai means ‘the world’ or ‘rustiness’. (his name changes to Helem in v14 which means the “dream of G-d” or healing.
· Tobijah means the “goodness of G-d’. His name stays the same.
· Jedaiah means ‘the righteousness of G-d’/’the hand of the L-rd’. His name doesn’t change.
· Josiah means ‘despair’ or ‘hopelessness’. His name changes to Hen which means “grace’.
v11: Silver and gold could have a good purpose (used in the construction of the temple vessels) or it could have an evil purpose (used to make idols).
· ‘Crown’ tells us this was for a kingly/kingdom purpose.
· Joshua – the same high priest we read about in chapter 3. (He is a symbolic picture of Yeshua)
· Jehozadak means ‘the Righteous L-rd’.
· The use of the words ‘high priest’ reminds us of Yeshua’s work of atonement.
v12: Yeshua is prophetically referred to as ‘The Branch’ as we learned earlier (Jer 23:5-6)
· Build the temple – in new covenant terms this refers to us (the body of believers) -1 Peter 2:4-5
v13: ‘Rule on His throne…A priest on His throne’ – kings were from the tribe of Judah. Priests were from the tribe of Levi. Yeshua is going to rule (Millennial kingdom – from Ezekiel 40 onwards) as both a king and a priest (He unites the two offices – Ez 43:6-7)
v14: Memorials remind us. This story is a reminder to us of what is going to happen in the future.
· In this verse we see a name change of two of the men mentioned in v10 taking place. ‘This world’ (the meaning of the name ‘Heldai’) under men is ruled with hopelessness and despair (The meaning of the name Josiah). When Yeshua comes to rule and reign there is a change to ‘His dream’ (the meaning of the name Helem) and it’s by an act of grace (The meaning of the name Hen).
v15: This verse deals with the actual temple that is going to be rebuilt. When it is built people will know (again) that Zechariah truly was a prophet sent from G-d.
· We need to diligently pay attention and obey/submit to what G-d is revealing to us in these prophecies